So, today I would like to reflect on some things I'm truly thankful for:
- My husband, for so many reasons, but who, without him, I would have cracked up long ago.
- My son, who randomly says "I love you mama," just before asking me for ice cream. (Guess I don't have to teach him the theory of "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar".)
- My daughter, who, right as I'm about to strangle her for screaming for one more thing, shoots me the best, most amazing smile every time. (I mean, do these kids have survival skills, or what?!?)
- My mom, who I finally understand why she didn't take that job that would have had her gone for months when I was little.
- My dad for his sayings that I pass on to my children now. The most recent mantra being, "Treat everyone the way you would want to be treated." For future use, I've banked, "For every beer your drink, drink a glass of water." --- sage advice when sending them to college (knock wood).
- My step-mom for being the go-between me and my dad when I was a teenager. We had a relationship because of that.
- My sister (who is technically a "step") for making me a sister and a friend after a fairly rocky start. I depend on her as if we were blood, especially as my parent sounding board. (Anyone who has weathered a child who painted the wall with their poop has some valuable advice to give.)
- My aunt and uncle in South Carolina, my aunt and uncle in Mississippi, my husband's family, and my extended family from my step-parents for continuing to create a family filled with love for my children.
- My dog Finlay, my fur child, who never lets me be in a room alone... even, and especially, the bathroom.
- Finally, to the step-cousins who let us stay with them for this Thanksgiving holiday in Atlanta, GA, out of the goodness of their heart, not obligation. (Unless, there was deal struck between their family and mine that we don't know about.)
I'm thankful for all of the above and more. I am blessed.
What are you thankful for?